Old January 2nd 05, 05:55 PM
ShawnD2112

Got this from the Dupont Nomex website:
http://www.dupont.com/nomex/europe/p...ial/index.html

"In fibre form, NOMEX® is the brand name for a family of high
temperature-resistant, flame-resistant fibres invented and produced by
DuPont. The high level of protection synonymous with NOMEX® fibres is
engineered into their molecular structure. It does not come from chemical
treatment. This means that the heat and flame resistance of garments made of
NOMEX® is inherent and permanent, and does not wear or wash out. You can
count on the protective performance of NOMEX® to last the life of a
garment."

Rob, it depends on what you want the gloves for. I wear them all the time
when I'm flying the Pitts, for grip and fire protection, but don't tend to
wear them when flying the Taylorcraft. If it's just grip, and pair of tight
fitting and thin gloves should work fine. I've flown with white leather RAF
gloves and have just switched, thanks to Santa, to USAF Nomex (from
Flightsuits.com). Neither of them are much good in the cold but they do cut
the drafts in the cockpit and give good grip. If you're interested in the
Nomex style, you might as well get a new pair from Flightsuits or wherever.
I wouldn't bother with a used pair off E-bay - they're not that expensive
brand new.

Hope that helps.
Shawn

"Helen Woods" wrote in message
I use the nomex ones for work. We get them from:

http://www.flightsuits.com/

They aren't the warmest things in the world, but they do maintain
dexterity.

You might try layering some wool fingerless gloves on top if it gets
really cold.

Word of warning on Nomex from ebay - depending upon how the previous owner
warshed and cared for the product, it may have lost its fire resistancy.

Helen