Old May 20th 11, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jsbrake[_2_]

Default Glider Recommendations

I'm the (newly assigned) chapter manager for one of the Freedom's
Wings Canada chapters (providing inspiration flights and flight
training for the physically challenged)... we're looking at $8,000 per
ship to modify our remaining Grob 103's to have hand controls. My
soaring club just got an ASK-21 with factory-installed hand controls,
that was a pretty penny on top of the cost, too.

Your posting raised some concerns for me:
- you say "new to the sport", but not how much experience you have,
nor the ships you've flown (other then DG-1000). Are you prepared to
handle any of the ships you mentioned?
- most of the ships you listed are flapped, which you wanted to rule
out
- motor gliders are more workload and extra training is required (and
maintenance)

Flaps aren't good or bad, they're "different". There are advantages
and disadvantages, and pilots far more experienced than I could extol
the virtues of having either. I fly both (my own ship is flapped),
and it's certainly simpler without. You'll want to follow the KISS
principle, I should think.

You might wish to contact Freedom's Wings Florida, based at Tampa Bay
Soaring Society for recommendations and information on modifying US
gliders.

Good luck in the search!
-John