Old May 21st 11, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Glider Recommendations

On May 20, 5:21*pm, glider12321 wrote:
On May 20, 7:00*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:

The hand controls I have seen have been on ships that drive the rudder
with a push rod, like the G-103. The hand control is mounted on the
left side and is connected to the rudder push-rod, behind the rear
seat. How does one hook a hand control to a ship that uses cables to
drive its rudder? *Most rudder pedals only move the rudder on one side
and use a spring to keep tension when the other pedal is moved.
JJ

I have also seen a G102 set up with hand controls. The spoiler handle
was un sprung and had a detent so it could be set for landing and
rudder controlled with the left hand.

I am a volunteer instructor for Freedoms Wings International..we fly
out of several NE airports.

We have two Grob 103's with hand control rudder and spoiler with
detents...

Yes, the Grob has a "pushrod" rudder which allows a simple hand
control , connected to the rear left rudder pedal to control either
left or right rudder......hand control can be fitted to front or rear
seat as well......other gliders with cable controlled rudder will be
more difficult to fit a hand control rudder.

As far as I know, the Grob 103 and the ASK 21 are "factory approved"
for manual control.....

I am not usre if any single seat gliders come with factory approved
manual control..if not, considerable FAA paperwork may be required....

I would suggest that you consider the Gorb 103......a two seater has
some obvious advantages, and can alway be flown solo if desired...also
should fall well short of your price range....
even with manual control modifications...

You can do a web search for freedomw wings international and get some
contacts for further information

Bob Cook