Old May 27th 11, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default currency for contests

On May 27, 4:40*pm, Brad wrote:
On May 27, 1:27*pm, ContestID67 wrote:

On May 27, 2:26*pm, Brad wrote:

I haven't flown in any contests yet, but I'm
wondering................to be safe and competent, how many hours or
flights would be prudent to have under my belt before I went out and
flew my first contest of the season?

Thanks,
Brad

The general rule of thumb is having your Silver Badge.

ok, silver badge................hypothetical: I got my silver badge 3
years ago, going to fly a contest in a few weeks, but havn't flown
more than 5 hours so far this year. Am I "safe"?

Brad

You need to be well enough in practive to fly the glider automatically
and instinctively. Flyin in you first (or first few) contest
without having your skills up is quite risky. There is enough new and
different about contests to use up most of your extra brain power.
Now go out and practice!
And be ready to have fun.
Make sure you find a mentor.
Enough preaching