Old May 28th 11, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default currency for contests

On May 27, 12:26*pm, Brad wrote:
I haven't flown in any contests yet, but I'm
wondering................to be safe and competent, how many hours or
flights would be prudent to have under my belt before I went out and
flew my first contest of the season?

Thanks,
Brad

It all depends on your experience level. Quite often I have few or no
flights before my first club contest flight of the season and the ASA
series is as competitive as many regionals. However you need to be
completely comfortable with your equipment and to have no concerns at
all about flying cross country before you mix it up with other pilots
who are intending to win the day.

It really isn't possible to answer your question without knowing what
contest experience you had in previous seasons and what contest you
were intending to fly first this season. However a contest need not
have risks any greater than you choose to make them. You don't have to
be in the 30 glider start gaggle and you don't have to go out on task
if you don't like the conditions. Set a caution level consistent with
your total and recent experience.

I'm reminded of a truism I heard from Paul Dickerson (19) many years
ago - A good contest is one where you leave with as many pieces as you
started.

Andy (GY)