Old May 28th 11, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

Default currency for contests

On May 27, 2:26*pm, Brad wrote:
I haven't flown in any contests yet, but I'm
wondering................to be safe and competent, how many hours or
flights would be prudent to have under my belt before I went out and
flew my first contest of the season?

Thanks,
Brad

Somehow the post got sent in midstream...

If this is in place, lots of recent experience while useful isn't all
that critical. Go for the practice days.

If this is not in place, 50 hours of thermaling around in a 45 degree
cone over your local airport by yourself is not going to be very
helpful.

Second, when a bit rusty, you react appropriately by setting more
conservative personal limits. Commit to a landing at 1500' not at
1000' (and certainly not at 250 feet!). Decide simply to abandon the
task or not fly if weather is too challenging. Leave big gaggles,
especially before the start. Do not try low and slow final glides.

How safe you are in this sport is entirely a question of where you set
those personal limits and how well you adhere to them.

So, go to that contest already! Evaluate your ability to handle
situations objectively, and don't do things you don't feel ready for.
Use the practice days wisely. Have fun!

John Cochrane
BB