Old January 20th 04, 04:48 AM
Richard Lamb

"Bill A." wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 21:21:06 -0500, " jls"
wrote:

"Bill A." wrote in message
link.net...
I'm still trying to select an aircraft to build from scratch and it's
starting to look like it's coming down to the engine (budget reasons of
course). I really like the Pietenpol Aircamper but from what I've read you
need a Rotex

Rotax? Nope. Pietenpols use old Ford A-Model engines, Corvair engines,
and affordable old Continentals like the A-65 and C-85. If you are on a
tight budget in Southern California, the Pietenpol Aircamper may be the way
to go. Do a google and you'll find all kinds of Piet groups. The Piet
clan gather every summer in Brodhead, Wisconsin for a fly-in. It is said
that if you visit with them a spell will be cast over you and you'll be a
Piet-head for the rest of your life.

I've done a bit of searching online but I can't seem to find
any Continentals for sale that aren't already attached to
something. Where would I find some and what's the ballpark
price? Are Corvair engines still around with as few
Corvairs that were produced I would think the supply would be
limited (along with parts) and can you still find Ford Model
A engines any more, much less parts? What would be the most
economical, commonly used engine out there now a days?

I fly a VW.
But it won't swing enough prop to fly an Air Camper.

The Piet Air Camper was designed around the Ford engine.
The plane needs that mass of metal up front to balance properly.

With a lighter, a longer mount is needed to keep the plane in balance.
Longer noses usually mean less yaw stability.

A Contenental A-65 - A-85 seems to work out ok.
At least you see them flying now and then.

Richard