Old July 24th 03, 05:03 AM
Ryan Ferguson

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:

The FAA has granted authorization to both Part 91 and Part 125 operators to
use less than standard minimums on CAT I ILS's. A few years ago, when I
went through the CAT II authorization process in my Mooney, my recollection
was that this was not possible for my a/c. If I recall correctly, the
issue was that the various waivers were authorized to be issued for my
performance of CAT II approaches at CAT II runways. However, there was no
similar waiver authority to allow special CAT I minimums with the equipment
I had in my a/c.

Very interesting. So if I understand this correctly (and maybe I don't,)
you're saying that you obtained authorization for CAT II approaches, but no
waiver for CAT I minimums with the equipment on-board your Mooney? If so,
which required equipment were you lacking?

Before you even go flying, the Fed's also do an inspection of the aircraft
to ensure that all the equipment requirements are met.

What are the equipment requirements?

In addition, the standard for flying the approach is no more than 1/4 scale
deflection of either LOC or GP needles. That may be more rigorous than the
Instrument PTS, but I don't have that information handy.

It is... the instrument rating PTS allows no more than 3/4 scale deflection on
the final approach segment of the ILS.

It was an interesting experience.

Like Richard, I am curious as to why you decided to do this and what, if any
utility you've gained from the Cat II authorization you were granted. I've
tossed the idea of pursuing this around for a little bit - mainly just for the
challenge and learning experience.

-Ryan