Old June 19th 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default LS3A performance

I have owned a LS3A and have flown both the 3 and 3A. I found no difference
in performance when the wing loading was the same. The 3A will have a
lighter wing loading with out water than the 3, therefore, has better climb
performance. The 3 wings are heavier due to the extra lead required for the
mass balance on the control surface.

"Rob Dunning" wrote in message
I'm looking for info about the performance of ls3A.
I've seen the Dick Johnson report which basically
said the wing was 1/4' thicker at the wing root than
the LS3's, which lowered performance but was inconclusive
because he has only tested one plane. Perhaps some
real polar information? I've heard the A climbs better
but runs worse than the ls3 -- is this true?

Thanks - Rob