Old August 31st 05, 05:51 PM
George Patterson

Jay Honeck wrote:
I wonder if the insurance companies (and the federal government) will
FINALLY wake up to the fact that building permanent structures below
sea-level in a hurricane zone is folly?

New Orleans was above sea level when they started building there.

In any case, you seem to be completely blind to the way insurance is supposed to
work. Insurance companies aren't banned from insuring things that are likely (or
even certain to be) destroyed. Nor should they be. Responsible insurance
companies simply set their premiums such that, on the average, they will have
made a profit off each building by the time it is destroyed. That profit doesn't
even have to come completely from the premiums -- insurance companies invest those.

Now, having the government subsidize insurance premiums is certainly a
questionable policy. I suppose the argument is that it is beneficial to the
people in general to do so. Personally, I'm not so sure.

George Patterson