Old May 5th 04, 09:45 PM
Greg Esres

5-4-8 a.1. ... However, the point at which the turn may be
commenced and the type and rate of turn is left to the discretion of
the pilot.

That just begs the question. If the person is under the impression
that the PT can't begin until some irrelevant fix in the planview,
then all the AIM tells him is that once he reaches that fix, THEN he
can begin the PT whenver and however he wants.

A person who has a misconception is likely to interpret anything he
sees or hears in light of his misconception. Unless there is
*specific*, authoritative information to root out the initial error,
getting him to change his mind will be difficult.

The only reason that the error of this present belief was instantly
obvious to me was that I had read a number of articles (Wally Roberts)
and publications (TERPS, etc) describing how the PT protected areas
are constructed.