Old April 4th 07, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Maxwell

Default Almost got My Ticket Yesterday

"CareBear" wrote in message
First of all I have not posted/asked any questions of RAP and RAS since
last November. With all of the bickering, baiting, and other issues, I
decided not to participate. Please don't misinterpret what I am saying.
I am not pointing fingers or complaining about anyone in particular since
several members of this group have been involved in degrading the groups.
These are just my opinions. So much for that.....

I had my checkride yesterday and it went rather well. I was not
successful in getting my ticket since I busted the forward slip to a
landing and soft field landing. Everything else was ok. I plan to
practice and complete the requirements for the slip and soft field landing
this week, thereby acquiring my ticket. My main problem with the slip was
not maintaining the centerline during the actual slip. I will not make
any excuses (the wind, nervousness, etc.). When it's all said and done,
it was on me to be successful.

Although I did not get the ticket, I still feel good about the overall
outcome. It's interesting in that I felt my weakest area would be the
oral but this went well. I did have a couple of slips (no pun intended)
during the oral but quickly regrouped and gave the correct response. The
oral lasted about 2.5 hours. After reviewing my flight plan, weight and
balance, etc. we (the DPE and myself) took to the air. I had to do quite
a number of things such as slow flight, steep turns, power on and power
off stalls. Finally it was time for the dreaded diversion! I was actually
pleased with myself with the outcome. The diversion was somewhat better
than I had anticipated, especially since I did not land but did a go
around. Once we returned to airport, we discussed the overall checkride.
Of course, this also included the "well you didn't do too good on the slip
and the soft field landing" conversation. But still, I was pleased with
what I had accomplished. Now I am really looking forward to finishing
this week, weather and DPE availability permitting.!!!!

BTW, the xc flight plan was from 3A1 (Cullman AL) to 7A0 (Greensboro AL)
and finally KMGM (Montgomery Dannelly Field).

Now, I will resume lurking.

I seemed to have a problem with slips when I was learn to fly years ago in a
150 myself. Something about it just seemed so unnatural, especially after
spending so much time learning to keep the aircraft coordinated all the
time. And it think trying to fly smoothly with the increased control
pressures were a big factor as well.

Finally one day on one of my solo flights, I simply climbed to 7500' or so,
picked out a target that was probably miles away, pulled the power back and
began to slip for it. After doing this a few times, and having several
minutes each time refine my technique, without the immediacy of landing, I
felt a whole lot better about slips. Everyone is different for sure, but it
sure was a big help to me.