Old December 23rd 17, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Schweizer 1-26 question

My biggest issue was the need for an, "iron butt" for long time flights. My best contribution is a fair amount of 1-26 time (couple hundred hours before moving up to a 1-34 and beyond) and doing most of my badges from a single airport in SE NYS. Above silver C, most were done in glass though.

I have flown with Ron S. many times over the years, he is definitely an eastern mentor for 1-26 flying along with others from ACA.......

I think some time in a 1-26 is good before moving up. Partly, you fly a TON of thermals, helps you to look at the ground and sky to find the next lift, if you don't, you will likely land.

While others say training in glass is the way, I still think doing lower performance to learn the basics, then move up is a better way.
You have to learn to find and work lift all the time before stretching your legs, glass makes it easier to go further on most days.