Old June 15th 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default This ain't your grandpa's V-22

Guy Alcala wrote:

Gord Beaman wrote:

"Joe Delphi" wrote:

"Gord Beaman" wrote in message
.. .
"Diamond Jim" wrote:

Probably a lot longer than you're indicating (or that you
know!)...it seems most odd that it's NEVER mentioned in any info
I've seen but this aircraft was designed and flown by Canadair in
Montreal in the EARLY SIXTIES!...it was known as the CL-84
Dynavert. First flew in 1965.
http://tinyurl.com/rk2tj

And then in the 1970s Bell designed and built the XV-15 tilt rotor
demonstration aircraft for NASA research.

http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/gallery/Photo/XV-15/index.html

JD

The XV-15 did not tilt the wing (only the engine pods at the
wingtips) as both the CL-84 and the V-22 do.

Sorry Gord, while the CL-84 was a tiltwing, both the XV-15 and V-22 are
tiltrotors -- the wing stays put when the nacelles rotate. See:

http://www.navair.navy.mil/v22/index...action=gallery.

among many other sites. The vertical 'wing' section you can see in some
shots when the nacelles are vertical are the large flaps, which droop
something like 85 degrees to minimize vertical drag (Dv) when in
helicopter mode.

Guy

Yes, you're right, I stand corrected...it 'was' the flaps that
misled me...(your URL didn't work btw - but I found it in Google)

Thanks for the info sir...
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)