Old March 10th 08, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Wing loading

On Mar 10, 3:46*pm, Andy wrote:
On Mar 9, 10:14 pm, Tuno wrote:

Note that a major performance factor is maximum wing
by gliders that could fly much higher wing loadings than my CZ.

Ted is really into this high wing loading thing. *I have never filled
my 28 in the 5 years I have owned it. *I usually fly about 9.5 PSF
when not resticted by the STD loading limit. There have been a few
days when I would have liked to be heavier but only when there was
good streeting on course line.

I used to fly my ASW-19 over max gross because I thought wing loading
was really important. *I'd heard the stories about stuffing 50 gallons
into Std Cirrus and I wanted some of it too. *The reports of leading
edge deformation giving lower L/D with all that water didn't reach me
until later. *When Standard class weight limits were enforced I
reduced my loading to max gross and found it flew a lot nicer and I
flew faster. *But then of course I wished I could get up to 9 psf with
the rest of the field.

I'd be interested in hearing how many experienced XC pilots always
takeoff with, and try to keep, wingloadings over 9.5 to 10 psf.

Maybe filling the 28 is the speed secret I've been missing for years?

Andy

I use same philosophy when flying my '28.
John Byrd used to kill us all in his Discus by flying it at 9# when
everybody else
tanked up too heavy.
UH