Old December 27th 07, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.aerobatics
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default spins from coordinated flight

Kyle Boatright wrote:

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
Todd W. Deckard wrote:
I have a limited exposure to spins (I've demonstrated spins or
received spin instruction in 5 different airplanes on
six different occasions). I have a commercial certificate (although
you wouldn't think so from my demonstration
of a chandelle). Maybe I did have to demonstrate a power on stall
while in a climbing 20 degree bank, once.
As I recall, we survived it.

I return to the original question: if the ball is in the middle will
it spin?

Becuase I believe snowmobile suits are for snowmobiling and not for
flying I won't have a chance to explore it
with an aerobatic instructor and an appropriate (but drafty) airplane
for a few months -- so I thought I would
put the question in a bottle and throw it in the ocean.

Regards
Todd

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message

On Dec 27, 1:42 pm, "Todd W. Deckard" wrote:
Can you depart and spin from coordinated flight? Specifically a
coordinated
climbing turn?

And courting disaster doing a chandelle? If you're going to do a
commercial ticket you should be familair with spins intimately. An
incipient spin shouldn't even make you break a sweat.

The answer to the ball question is no. It won't spin. A ball centered
airplane in a climbing turn is compensated by rudder and is considered
coordinated (in the classic sense).

If you introduce a climbing turn stall with the ball centered, you
might get a temporary wing drop at the break but unless you introduce
a yaw rate as the stall breaks; no yaw rate...no spin!

My thought is that we're splitting hairs in this thread. If the
airplane is in coordinated flight and stalls straight ahead (no wing
drop), a spin can't happen. But on most aircraft, one wing will drop
first even if the ball is centered. This wing drop creates a yaw,
opening up the possibility for a spin.

--
Dudley Henriques

The wing drop at a 1g stall is on the roll axis not the yaw axis . You
need rudder to induce the yaw rate at the stall necessary to cause entry
into auto rotation.

--
Dudley Henriques