Old August 20th 03, 05:13 AM
Peter Duniho

"Darrel Toepfer" wrote in message
500ms ping time minimum... So count on lots of lag...

Unless you are playing online computer games, you would never notice the
lag. Most Internet access is of the form "brief request for data, followed
by large amount of data returned". It'll take an extra half-second for the
data to show up, but that will generally be swamped by the time it takes to
actually generate and send the data, even at broadband speeds.

Some don't network very well...

Not sure what that means.

None will work when it rains hard or the sun is in transit (summer /

winter
soltice)...

Why would you say that? The satellite data systems I've seen are based on
similar technology to that used for my digital broadcast satellite system.
At worst, data throughput drops *some*, and that's in the very worst
downpours.

I have no idea why the solstices would have any effect on data transmission.
Perhaps you could explain that one.

All end up with more customers than they can actually support (whether it

be
on the transponders, gateways or internet bandwidth)...

That may well be true. Though, of course, it happens with DSL and cable as
well.

Pete