Old April 9th 13, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default PowerFlarm: 2.7 Vertical Range

Version 6.00 of the dataport specification includes this statement:

"Sub-Sentence PFLAC,,RANGE
Syntax: PFLAC,QueryType,RANGE,Value
Meaning: Maximum horizontal distance of aircraft to be processed, in meters.. This affects alarms, NEAREST as shown on the integrated displays, as well as PFLAU / PFLAA messages over the data port. The vertical range cut-off of 500m cannot be changed.
Values: Positive integer values between 2000 and 25500 are allowed, 3000 is the default (3000m). The values will be rounded to the next 100m."

Also it includes "PFLAA sentences are limited to other aircraft with a horizontal distance of less than the configured horizontal range (default is 3km) and a vertical separation of less than 500m. Non-moving aircraft are suppressed."

Data port specification V4.06e also includes the PFLAA vertical range limitation "PFLAA sentences are limited to other aircraft with a horizontal distance of less than the configured range (default is 3km) and a vertical separation of less than 500m. Non-moving aircraft are suppressed."

V4.06e does not appear to include "The vertical range cut-off of 500m cannot be changed." and this was added between version 4. and version 6.

I could not find any sentence that allowed the specification of FLARM vertical range to be changed, and that is consistent with it being a fixed value..

Unfortunately, my portable is out for the modification that will make it useless in my native UK so I can't check if FLARM vertical range was a menu selection.

Anyone that expected more than 500m FLARM vertical range probably didn't read the available documentation and was perhaps mislead by the hype.

Andy (GY)