Old September 15th 03, 01:19 PM
Dennis O'Connor

Also, look into the cost of haivng the inside of the hangar foamed... You
get an air tight result, with superior R values... They may do the inside of
the door also, depending on your installation... Foam is a few more bucks,
but in ten years you won't miss the money and you have a superior product...
Denny
"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

"B. Jensen" wrote:

I have a 48x60' hangar that I want to insulate for the upcoming MN
winter. What are my options, and what works the best?

Options tend to be fiberglass batts and foam panels. Fiberglass is cheaper

and
doesn't burn as well. It can be held in place with spring wire placed

between
joists or by stapling chicken wire to structures to hold it in (among

other
techniques). One disadvantage is that rodents like to make nests in it.

Many
types of foam are flammable, some highly so, but the panels can be glued

in place
with construction adhesive.

I will also be adding some much needed overhead lighting. Any
recommendations here?

The most cost-effective lighting is fluorescent. Standard ballasts don't

work
well below about 60 degrees, however, so you need commercial fixtures.

Depot in this area sells Simkar commercial units with ballasts that work

down
to below freezing, but even that isn't going to be good enough for deep

winter
where you are. Halogens work in about any temperature, but they put out

lots
of heat. That's great in winter, but lousy the rest of the year. Possibly

the
best choice would be some of those "yard security" lights that look and

work
like streetlights.

George Patterson
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that cannot
be learned any other way. Samuel

Clemens