Old September 15th 03, 07:10 PM
Roger Halstead

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 16:15:33 -0500, "B. Jensen"
wrote:

I have a 48x60' hangar that I want to insulate for the upcoming MN
winter. What are my options, and what works the best? Anyone from
this area have any vendors that they can recommend?

I will also be adding some much needed overhead lighting. Any
recommendations here? I am not a millionaire, so cost effective
products would be greatly appreciated! :-)

A lot depends on your zoning and ordinances.
One of the best I've seen for the old style all meal, rectangular
"pole barn" type hangers is a spray on fire retardant cellulose. As I
recall it takes a bit more to get the R-factor compared to some of the
others, but you can put the stuff into places that are normally
difficult to reach. They can even spray it on the ceiling as well as
around and under steel beams.

Fiberglass bats and roll insulation work well and are relatively
inexpensive., If you have steel support beams and uprights they can
prove to be tremendous heat losses unless wrapped with the insulation.

It's a lot of work, but if you can afford to put wood strips (I forget
the proper name) on the wall and finish the interior with rock lath,
or plasterboard then the walls can be blown full, or just filled with
batts

On mine, I insulated the walls with 3 1/2 inch batts and covered them
with finished barn metal. The ceiling is also barn metal with 16
inches of blown cellulose on top of that. However I'd guess to do the
entire inside of a 48 X 60' hanger with barn metal would run over
$2,000. OTOH it's a whale of a lot easier to install than rock lath.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

Thank,

Bryan
Lakeville, MN