Old January 13th 04, 07:32 PM
Eric Greenwell

Mark James Boyd wonders about "turbinizing" the SparrowHawk:

The harder questions a
How to mount the thing?
Will it fit?

The fuselage behind the cockpit is just as large as a 15 meter glider,
because pilots aren't available as "ultralights". The space is empty,
because the gear is fixed and the control hookups are directly behind
the seat. I'm sure Greg could design a simple mounting system for the
engine(s). There is already a hole in the top for access to the optional
BRS system.

Where does the fuel tank go?

Perhaps under the seat back, like the PIK 20 E, or in wing tanks (SN 002
- the company aircraft - has tanks; I don't know about the other ones).

Weight and balance?

This stuff is all close to the CG, so it shouldn't be a problem. Light
pilots might need some nose weight, I suppose.

How about all that heat?

The carbon pre-preg is cured at 230 deg F (the glider doesn't have to be
painted white - pick your own color!), so it would be much less of a
problem than the conventional low temperature cured, wet layup used by
most manufacturers.

Who wants to fly it first?

Probably the designer!

Can it take off from under 2000 ft?

Get a bigger engine if it doesn't.

Who's got the cash?

If you do, give Windward Performance a call...
--
-----
change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA