Old January 14th 04, 12:39 AM
Mark James Boyd

Eric Greenwell wrote:
Mark James Boyd wrote:
At 500 lbs, a notional Sparrowhawk with two AMT-450s
would accelerate at .12 g's (2 knots/second), to 40 knots
in 20 seconds using 1200 feet of runway. Assuming wheel
friction and drag make this figure double, under 2400
feet of runway is still respectable.

Wouldn't that be (500/(45+45) = 0.18 g's ? Or 3.4 knots/second to 40
knots in 10.4 seconds, and about 330 feet? So doubling is only 600 feet.

I avoided the math and safe-sided the heck out of it and
got a way too big figure. Thanks for the extra work

Using one engine, 0.09 g's gives 1.7 knots/sec, 21 seconds to 40 knots,
and 640 feet, doubled to 1280. With all due respect to Mike B, I might
be happy with one engine.
Eric Greenwell

For self-launch, perhaps, but for 100 knot level flight,
or 500 fpm climb, 200 Newtons (45 lbf) may be not enough.
I haven't done the disciplined math for this, nor
do I know the actual drag in Newtons of the Sparrowhawk.
I suppose this can be calculated rather than SWAGed based
on weight and the shape of the polar, eh? Any takers?