Old April 12th 05, 05:18 AM
Brian Whatcott

On 11 Apr 2005 09:04:37 -0700, (Vixus) wrote:

I've just got a couple of questions regading a future career as a
pilot, probably beginning after university (Biology).

First of all, I would like to know if ethnicity would pose any barrier
to becoming an airline pilot. All the yahoos that initiated the 9/11
disasters seem to have cast a shadow over a large majority of the
world's population. I have heard from various sources that training
could be denied on bases of your ethnic background and, as a British
citizen, it would be very sad to hear that.

Next, I was wondering if scholarships were still offered. Taking up
aviation is obviously a large financial risk, yet I've heard of
various flight schools still offering scholarships (such as the Mike
Hall Memorial PPL Scholarship). I was wondering if there were other
schools/airlines offering scholarships.

Thanks in advance.

If you want to be a career pilot, you need to really, really want to
be a pilot. You can pass the medical, right? Did you think a
biology degree would be helpful?

Two good ways to start: sign up for the air force, on the condition
that you get pilot training.
or
find a college that offers a pilot type degree. Some of these can
offer really useful deals.

Other ways: the traditional hard-slog route: scrimp for a CPL-IR
then instruct, then do what it takes to get into a commuter.
That's easier said than done - but it can be done.

You are not about to swan into an airline pilot job, no matter what,
unless your Daddy owns an airline. Think about it. And make up your
mind whether you are willing to pay the price of admission. Then, go
for it!

Brian Whatcott Altus OK