Old January 13th 09, 09:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Default RG-58 thinet cable

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 22:08:28 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Dear Robin,

Yeah, it would probably work for you, signal-wise. But I don't know
what you need with regard to weather and UV exposure -- some cables
are better than others and the only person qualified to say, is you.
But I can tell you that the outfit you've cited is kinda on the
expensive side. If you'll check the address below I think you'll find
their prices are a bit more reasonable.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...G58/U/-/1.html

Good quality RG-58 can be found for about 21 cents per foot
(discount), BUT be careful about what kind you get particularly if its
going to flex or be subject to vibration. Straight RG58 has a solid,
tiny, center conductor while the AU and some others have stranded.
Good BNC connectors are at least several dollars each. That makes me
wonder about the quality of the above.

Another alternative is one of the RG8X versions which is the same
physical size as RG-6, but 52 ohms, is very flexible and runs about 32
cents per foot. It also has less loss than RG58. My choice is the
RG8XIIA which has a foil plus braid shield at
http://www.therfc.com/coax.htm
BTW, regular RG8 cables are nearly a half inch in diameter while the X
versions are much smaller.

Most of the cable suppliers will have the specs as to whether the
cable is UV resistant or not.

Also, once you make your connection with a BNC connector, it's kind of
hard to add safety wire. So instead of wire (which can sometimes
puncture the braid and lead to problems) the usual procedure is to use
one of the sticky-tapes, which is also carried by All Electronics.

I use "flooded" heat shrink tubing. It has a layer of hot melt glue
on the inside and when slid up over the connector as far as possible
without interfering with the operation of the connector makes a good
solid connection that is far stronger than tape. OTOH the stuff is
only available in 1 meter lengths. It's easily cut, but runs about $10
a length. Although it can be removed with care, I consider all
connections permanent and if I have to remove one I throw it away.

http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/connectors.htm shows the
installation on larger cable and connectors. The smaller size tubing
0400 starts out at 0.40" an shrinks to 0.12" minimum. This is a
rather heavy, industrial grade tube so some might want something
lighter.

The trick is to over-lap your wrappings, starting well beyond the
metal fitting... give it an inch or so... then squeeze the tape down
good & tight. You'll end up with a water-proof junction that also
resists coming loose.

-R.S.Hoover
-KA6HZF

Roger (K8RI) ARRL Life Member