Old October 23rd 03, 07:48 AM
Keith Willshaw

"B2431" wrote in message

OK, I may not have been clear. I was referring to U.S. reaction. As for

the
British and Dutch forces actual events showed the Japanese had the ability

handle them.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired

The problem for the Japanese was that with US forces in
the Phillipines the Americans were in a position to interdict
supplies from the NEI to the home islands.

They had noted the US buildup and were well aware that
within a year or two they would be simply unable to take
out those bases and would be almost out of oil since
they had at best 2 years oil supplies on hand and it would
take that long to restore the NEI fields to production
and produce enough tankers to move that production.

The Japanese had not only been dependent on US oil
but US tankers to transport it.

Keith