Old February 17th 04, 06:31 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Erich Adler" wrote in message
m...
I see that no civil discussion can take place here despite the fact
that you "adults" claim to cherish military aviation. So why all the
fuss about German aircraft, jets or otherwise?

I live in America now but don't like the blatant arrogance I see
whenever history is talked about in regards to military aircraft.
Every American I have had discussions with usually end up in disaster
because the ignorant American can't get it through his thick skull
that they owe practically everything to Germany in the field of modern
military aviation.

We could discuss Allied centrifugal jets that lost out in the long
run. German engineers told them that in 1945.

American and US companies were already working on axial flow designs
before the end of the war. They knew very well that the centrifugal
design had a limited scope for development but they also knew
it would be easier to produce a reliable engine that way. This
turned out to be correct.

We could discuss the US
reliance on German wind tunnel data to build a large variety of
postwar military aircraft and research aircraft. We could discuss the
various guns and missile systems copied by the US and Allies to be
applied to those military aircraft. We could talk about the German
invention of stealth that the US applied to both the U-2 and SR-71.
Lastly we could talk about the taboo discs and forms of propulsion
beyond the axial-flow Jumo 004B, which was way beyong US science of
the time and not even perfected until possibly the late 1980s or '90s.

Bull**** , the Jumo 004B was a typical first generation engine in terms
of performance with woeful reliability and had poorer performance
than the Derwent. This is of course why the Soviets used the
RR centrifugal engine in the Mig-15

Keith