Old July 10th 03, 07:32 PM
Todd Pattist

(Robert M. Gary) wrote:

I think the FARs are pretty clear
here...

"(3) An authorized instructor may log as pilot-in-command time all
flight^M
time while acting as an authorized instructor."

That seems less than clear to me. If an instructor is in
the aircraft, and can reach the controls, there is a
substantial risk that he will be charged with responsibility
for that flight. As such, a cautious instructor will
maintain an extra measure of vigilance when "riding with a
friend" that is at least as alert and aware as when he's
letting a student practice straight and level.

Given that he may well be charged with responsibility when
"riding" with a mere PPL, and may be acting with greater
care than a simple passenger, I'd consider him to be "acting
as an authorized instructor" even if he was not "asked to
act as an authorized instructor." That difference is the
ambiguity I see in the FAR wording.

I never log time as instruction given unless I'm actually giving
instruction.

A reasonable response also. Note that if you log it as
instruction, you are required to sign the other pilot's
logbook, but since he owns his logbook, he does not have to
let you sign it.

If I'm riding with a friend, I'm not going to call (or
log) that as instruction.

When I flew with a friend, I'd ask if he wanted to consider
it instruction. He could log PIC for sole manipulator *and*
dual received (which makes insurance companies happy) and I
would log instruction given and feel justified in the extra
level of vigilance I felt was required regardless.

Todd Pattist
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)
___
Make a commitment to learn something from every flight.
Share what you learn.