Old December 5th 19, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Gliding risk....

On Thursday, December 5, 2019 at 11:15:08 AM UTC-8, Dave Walsh wrote:
At 16:14 05 December 2019, 2KA wrote:
Yeah, the entire fleet was inspected and repaired as required

(years ago),
and SH paid for the whole thing. Gliders built at the factory

in Germany
were found to be affected, as well as those built at

contractors.

Lynn Alley
"2KA"

You were lucky! I was in a UK owned DuoDiscus based at
Sisteron, France, a few years ago. Wing spar de-bonding was
discovered at an annual inspection even though the glider had,
in theory, been inspected previously, looking for this specific
manufacturing fault. SH DECLINED TO PAY FOR THIS REPAIR;
if I recall correctly each of us in the 8 man syndicate had to
cough up about £700.......
Dave Walsh

This is particularly disturbing, raising the question of the effectiveness of the original inspection method(s). Do the logbook(s) detail how and when this inspection was done? How did the current annual discover the de-bonding?

Tom