Old May 19th 20, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default KGARS - Kiting Glider Automatic Relase System

On Tuesday, May 19, 2020 at 1:42:38 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Tuesday, May 19, 2020 at 5:41:00 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 7:06:34 PM UTC-7, Karl Striedieck wrote:
Richard Green of the Wycombe Test Group, High Wycombe, Bucks. UK designed and tested an auto release and offered to sell me one back in 1980. His long hand letter to me said that he was "an old age pensioner" so maybe he and his BGA certified release are something of history.

The engineering blue print of it is 3X2 feet in size, but a side view is on a normal size sheet of paper which I'd be happy to send to anyone. A Schweizer release is attached to the device which essentially operates when the angle up exceeds a certain limit.

He said the club made over 1000 tows with it and there were no "spurious releases."

Karl Striedieck

This is the 1980 article from Sailplane and Gliding:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1O...J6dkIxM0U/edit

But Chris Rollings later said it didn't work:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...g%5B151-175%5D

Wouldn't it be better to design a automatic release based on the tug flight parameters such as say primarily sudden change of pitch downwards? I thought that what Chris Rollings wrote in his 2014 RAS post about the difficulty of designing an effective system based on relative angle of the tow rope was long generally accepted.