Old January 6th 07, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
new_CFI

Default Procedure for calculating weight and balance

Mxsmanic wrote in
news
Thomas Borchert writes:

Why would "neutral trim" be important?

It allows for maximum control movement in both directions.

hehehe....are you trying to avoid a building? small controll movements
are key to a smooth flight.

For that matter, what would it be?

Neutral trim in cruise, usually.

Neutral trim in cruse is not neccisarly good. read about it.

What you get is a range of allowable CGs, which often depends on
total weight. This all has to do mostly with elevator authority. Trim
(as in the trim wheel) is not really important, trim is just a tool
to relieve the pilot.

Any trim adjustment has an effect on the remaining elevator authority
beyond the trimmed position.

again, how much elevator do you need? small controll inputs... save up
some money and go take a discovory flight at least. It will give you an
idea of the fine cotrol one needs...and perhaps answer questions like
this.

Once you've figured this out, ponder why an aircraft will be faster
or consume less fuel if the CG is as aft as possible.

I'm not worried about speed or fuel consumption. I'm not in a rush,
and I generally take off with full tanks, at least in the Baron.

ok, then drive. or if your just intrested in seeing the world from
above, fly a balloon.