Old August 13th 07, 11:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Vaughn Simon

Default tie down plates

"Drew Dalgleish" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 02:33:06 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher
wrote:

Nutin holds like those augers. Get a longer lever and take a beer
break halfway through if you need to. For the cost of one of those
fancy 3 spike thingys he can buy all the augers he needs at the local
farm store.

For permanent tiedowns, I would try to go with augers. The best way to
screw them down is with a long lever and a friend with a sledgehammer. Screw
the thing down until it gets tight (that might be very quick) and have the
friend tap the auger with the sledge as you turn it. I usually expect a quarter
turn from each tap.

I usually dig a posthole about 1/2 depth, insert the auger, and replace the
dirt. That gives you a good start while still allowing the auger to dig down
into undisturbed dirt. You can also posthole down full depth, and carefully
compact the dirt on top of the auger, but you will not have full hold-down
strength available until the dirt settles on its own, a matter of weeks or
months.

Vaughn