Old November 9th 03, 01:14 AM
Robert Henry

"Newps" wrote in message
news:thfrb.147219$HS4.1197781@attbi_s01...

Robert Henry wrote:

Sure, as long as the arrival remains IFR. If the arriving aircraft is
cleared for the visual, the departing aircraft is probably not going to

be
released,

Probably? I guarantee it, unless someone provides visual separation.

So it, possible, but most unlikely? Isn't that probably not.

If the arriving
aircraft cancels IFR and proceeds direct to the field...that's

different.
Now, if the tower was expecting an easterly departure, and the aircraft
proceeds west according to the ODP, then what?

Well, since he cancelled IFR it doesn't matter.

Well, it would be nice if it did, too. It remains my hope that a midair in
Class D airspace because the inbound aircraft was instructed (verbally or
through omission of other instructions) to continue, and the outbound
aircraft was proceeding on the inverse (ODP) heading is not going to be a
career enhancing incident for the tower. In other words, "How did you not
know that the departing aircarft was flying the ODP."

No, the tower is saying, we don't know what you are going to do, so it'd

be
nice if you would tell us. Are you saying that the tower is responsible

for
protecting the ODP? I don't believe that's the case, else they wouldn't
have to request a release.

The fact that a tower has to request a release has nothing to do with
the ODP. That is simply what the tower and their approach control have
worked out. I worked in the flatlands of North Dakota for a while, we
had to get a release for every IFR departure.

Is it safe to conclude that if an aircraft departs IFR without a release
that the ODP may not be protected at that time? I am certain there is a
relationship, even if there are 100+ better reasons that most SOPs/LOAs
require a coordinated release before departure.