Old November 4th 08, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Glider Insurance, which to choose?

On Nov 3, 7:01*pm, wrote:
I called Costello insurance today for a quote. *Boy was I suprised.
For an antique ASW-15 it's *just under a thousand dollars a year.
Other club members, with more expensive gliders and less experience
than I have, get insurance for half of what I was quoted. *Costello
gets insurance through AIG. *I guess with their government bailout,
minus the expenses from the warm sunny california executive party,
they must need a good chunk of change for their operation.

Does anyone know of other glider insurance companies out there?

Just under $1k could be a bargain, you don't state your experience or
experience on type. Did you get all the applicable discounts? Costello
will apply discounts for SSA and AOPA memberships. Your current
experience/proficiency determined by the number of landings (not
hours) you've flown (I think its is total and in the last year). You
also can get credit for commercial ratings.

Other insurance companies advertise in SSA Soaring Magazine. I have no
experience with them.

You can also lower costs somewhat by taking the glider off-line over
winter and reducing insured value, but obviously there are risks in
that. BTW we recently had a nice Cobra trailer destroyed in California
in a rollover accident, the glider was not in the trailer and the car
driver was fine. One of the Cobra dealers mentioned to me that the
trailers are often significantly underinsured.

Darryl