Old April 14th 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Zenith CH701 or ICP Savannah

wrote in message
ups.com...
Another source of data is the use groups in Yahoo. For the 701 it is
something like 701-builders. For the Savannah it is Savannahaircraft.
In these groups you will be able to read what owners and builders are
doing to solve problems and help each other.

I've subscribed to both groups for quite a while. As an
over-simplification, the 701 group has a lot of "how does this go together"
questions with a lot of answers like "the plans are wrong, here is what you
need to do". None of that on the Savannah group. On the Savannah group, it
is people raving about how easy it is to build, and the other main group is
people complaining about how the American distributor rights were stolen
from the guy that used to have them. At Arlington last year, I walked back
and forth between the two, comparing them. My final verdict is that the
Savannah is a vastly better plane. YMMV.

The big issue with both (and others) these days is how the exchange rate has
pushed up the cost of a Rotax 912 so much.