Old March 5th 04, 09:23 PM
Dave Kearton

"Per Nordenberg" wrote in message

| "John Mullen" skrev i meddelandet
| It'a lovely plane. Still looks futuristic on the eve of retirement...
|
| Yes. A giant motor with wings attached...
|
| The most incredible of all is that they're rapidly scrapping the most
modern and
| capable JA 37 Viggens, and at the same time maintaining much older
versions for
| another year or so. Swedish defence planning in a nut shell...
|

| Regards,
|
| Per Nordenberg

Now that makes me feel old...........

I remember when the Viggen was on the original shortlist for the RAAF's
Mirage III replacement in the mid '70s.

It was also a fantastic airshow performer, I remember a couple of
Farnborough shows where it taxied and reversed into its parking space,
definitely an oddity.

Not to mention that it was so bumpy and ugly that it was attractive, gave
hope to us all.

Cheers

Dave Kearton