Old November 24th 18, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default MIT's Ion-drive sustainer takes flight

On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 06:44:55 -0800, markmocho53 wrote:

What we *really* need is the traditional Science Fiction Thruster unit
-
and the Rotax-sized fusion reactor that powers it.

Got it, Martin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptlhgFaB89Y

Yep - though I'd been thinking more of the pics on the covers of old SF
mags. You know the ones I mean - where all buildings had streamlined
cooling fins and the spacegirls all carried blasters (with fins on them)
and wore bikinis under their transparent space suits. Larry Niven's
"Ringworld" and his 'Known Space' stories hit that spot too.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org