Old March 17th 09, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Hoover

Default How to Make 'X-ACTO' Knives

The other Damascus approach I have heard about used the scrap metal
-working bandsaw blades alternated with mild steel strap.
* *The combination of toughness from the mild steel *and hardenability
from the alloy blade looked good (when acid-etched) , and worked well
apparently.--------------------------------------------------------------------

The method I saw used in Japan, at a guy's shop near Kuriyama, was to
brush the billet on both sides as they workd it out from a billet of
about 4 x 1 in. to a piece about 8" x 3/4" was to BRUSH the faces of
the billet with a wad of rice straw dipped in what appeared to be
water. After each brushing it was re-heated back to bright yellow
then folded inward, onto the face that had been brushed last. After
folding it was worked back to its original size (ie, about 4 x 1
inch). This wouldn't make a full size sword of course, and the fellow
may have done it just to demonstrate the technique. He was a
westerner but a registered sword maker who had several Japanese
apprentices. He used traditional tools and clearly knew what he was
doing.

I assume the straw -- or the liquid -- provided the required carbon.
The billet was folded eight times (ie, two to the eighth, or 256 layers
[?]). The result was a single-edged blade, about 1//8th inch on the
back and a bit thinner than a knife on the cutting edge. In forming
the cutting edge the natural camber resullted in a slight curve. Very
stiff.

Off & on, I spent a total of seven years in Japan, not always
stationed ashore, but I pulled two fairly long hitches, both at HSA
Yokosuka. There were quite a few traditional metal smiths on the
Kuriyama peninsula, including a shipyard (!) that could handle hulls
up to about 120 feet (they launched them sideways); mostly fishing
boats. It was a very interesting time for me.

-R.S.Hoover
-(USN, Retired)