Old April 18th 05, 01:44 PM
Markus Voget

I'm planning to do a trip to Germany.
Did that a couple of times before but I restricted my airfields to the
ones that has English as RT too. Now I like to go to some small fields.

At my uncontrolled home field (EDRT), I have overheard many times English
transmissions in between the usual German stuff. The "tower" personnel
seemed to switch quite effortlessly between languages. At times, I have
personally used English to make myself understood to the other pilot
sharing the sky with me.

I've the official German RT stuff from the internet and can memorize
the phrases but I'm not sure if that is enough.
Do they stick to the official phrases or is it more common to add some
extra talk that is not so official.

It can get non-standard occasionally but most of the time you should be
able to get along with standard phraseology. When in doubt, you could
always try English even if this is not published. Chances are you will
get a useful reply almost everywhere.

Pay close attention to the published traffic patterns. These often have
to do with noise complaints from neighbors phoning in to the airport. For
example, if you cut the pattern too close at EDRT (and thus overfly a
certain village), you can expect to be chewed out over the radio, either
in German or English depending on the mood of the "controller".

The few times I listend to German radio I was able to understand what
they were saying.

That should be a good basis. Fly safely, and have fun!

Greetings,
Markus