Old November 23rd 05, 05:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Prop strike effect on resale value?

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 02:36:36 GMT, Mike Spera
wrote:

Ron Natalie wrote:
Mike Spera wrote:

As others have stated, you need to follow the engine manufacturer's
instructions following a prop strike or "sudden engine stoppage".
Usually this calls for inspection of the crank runout at a minimum.
Some call for engine teardown

"Some" includes both Lycoming and Continental.

Ron,

I thought they both had that requirement somewhere, but I was not sure
whether it was binding (via some FAA reg.). Some other fellow posted the
AD for one engine make because of the crank gear. That seems to suggest
that the engine manufacturer's "recommendation" did not have regulatory
weight (or the AD would be unnecessary).

I don't have the papers here now, but it came out as an AD. *Any*
prop strike that takes more than a *minor* dressing requires an engine
teardown for both Lycoming and Continental and the engine does not
need to be developing power, or even running when the strike happens.

As to the original question: for most planes as long as the AD had
been complied with there should be no change in price. Now if you had
a nice new Bo, fresh off the assembly line which lost a quarter (or
more) of it's value when you brought it home, that would be an animal
of a different color.

My engine is near run out. If I had to do a tear down after a strike
it'd probably increase the value considerably. :-))

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

What's up?
Thanks,