Old September 23rd 13, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Default Oxygen Generators

On Monday, September 23, 2013 9:23:44 AM UTC-7, JohnDeRosa wrote:
Has anyone investigated the use of an oxygen generator rather than
carrying an O2 cylinder?

The late Les Sebald carried a chemical oxygen generator of the type used on airliners as a backup oxygen source in his HP-14. He worked for United Airlines, and I imagine that he had access to expired units that were out of date but probably still good. I remember seeing that Les's O2 generator was carefully mounted so that the airframe was protected from the rather high heat generated as a byproduct of the chemical reaction that produced the oxygen.

Thanks, Bob K.