Old January 30th 18, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Default A Question for ClearNav Users ...

On Monday, January 29, 2018 at 9:28:03 PM UTC-5, Steve Koerner wrote:
Thermal assistant is great -- highly recommend. You don't have to remove the pointer instrument. The same ADC box can run both. There is benefit to having both on your panel.

I love the CNv Digital vario. The Thermal Assistant is very good. I haven't flown with the version with the pointer. I wish it had a dial volume rather than the up/down buttons... I have it connected to an Oudie2 lite (running xc soar), with the serial cable from Cumulus. You can declare tasks from the oudie to the flight recorder in the CNvario, which is convenient if you are badge flying.

It does help you visualize the thermal, but I find I don't look at it much, since there is a tone to tell me when to roll out briefly, and it works very well.