Old March 24th 10, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default OLC statistics

brianDG303 wrote:
I flew with several much more advanced pilots on Saturday, 4 hours in
100% ridge lift, very turbulent, very rough terrain (North Cascades WA
State), very cool. Afterwords it was pointed out to me that my Rate Of
Climb statistic was 1/2 of everyone else, although I was keeping up
altitude wise. Is there an explanation somewhere of what is being
measured, and is there a way of using it as a training tool?

Your trace is much flatter than the other pilots (Brad and John), as if
you were staying near the top of lift where the climb rate is weak. They
appeared to wander around more, sometimes getting lower, then climbing
back up in the lower, stronger lift that is usually the case for ridge
soaring.

If you have a statistic like this when thermal soaring, then it's time
to worry!

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)

- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz