Old December 14th 03, 07:08 AM
Roger Halstead

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 17:37:05 -0500, "Robert Henry"
wrote:

"Roger Halstead" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 02:57:11 GMT, "Matthew S. Whiting"
wrote:

snip

I was taught, no matter what the target, don't suddenly swerve. In
heavy traffic swerving can cause more problems than it solves.

Like flying, I was taught to always have an out. In most cases, this is an
entire lane (left or right non-movement lanes). In the middle lane, or no
shoulder construction zones, or snowbanks, add extra following space - no
tailgating!

At any given moment, you must know whether you can go right or left. If you
can't do either, then you need to make an adjustment so that you can, or

In heavy traffic it may not be practical. With traffic moving at
express way speeds with only a couple of car lengths space, all lanes
full, if you slow down, you become the hazard. I don't like those
conditions, but they do exist.

The SUV that ended up in the left turn lane was hit by two more cars
about 5 minutes after the parts quit rolling around, but just before
the police arrived. The one guy got off by telling them he was trying
to turn into the parking lot drive way, which is where he ended up
after spinning around. As the second one made it airborne out over
the parking lot by about 30 feet before landing, he really didn't have
a valid excuse.

there is plenty of room in front. Try it; it can be exhausting if overdone,
but it's good practice.

In my case I had lots of space between me and the car in front, but
the SUV shot out of a parking lot driveway with all 4
spinning/burning. I had just enough time to get my foot on the
brake.12 feet of skid marks means I didn't slow down very much before
I hit him broad side. He was going fast enough that it spun me CCW
and I ended up in a parking lot on the other side of the road.

I really do believe in defensive driving. :-))

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair?)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Return address modified due to dumb virus checkers

$.02