Old March 12th 05, 12:02 AM
Kilo Charlie

It's interesting to me that finishing through the gate is one of the few
times during a contest day that I feel safest. I am much more worried about
the unseen glider pulling up into me as I'm thermalling out on course or the
prestart gaggle mess. Even the threat of getting low over "tiger country"
worries me way more than finishing. And as far as I can tell the facts bear
this all out wrt where midair's occur and what landing damage is done. As
Chris has stated finishing is the one point in the race that I know where
everyone is coming from and heading to.

I agree with the analogy of aerobatics and precision maneuvers. Racing is
not for everybody just like flying gliders is not. If you are extremely
worried and scared (or your loved ones are) when you head to the airport
then I'd suggest that this is not the best choice of sports for you. Tom
Knauff has done a good job of disproving the idea that the most dangerous
part of flying is the drive to the field. I hope that this doesn't insult
you guys trying to argue the what you feel is the safety point. Your hearts
are in the right place.

Casey Lenox
KC
Phoenix