Old February 25th 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
tscottme

Default Safety Pilot restrictions by the Insurance Company?

By allowing non-club members to act as safety pilot in club aircraft isn't
that a big loophole to allow pilots of unknown qualification access to club
aircraft? I don't propose that their are unscrupulous pilots using the
safety pilot "loophole" to gain access to aircraft for nefarious reasons.
But I can understand the insurance company dictating minimum qualifications
of pilots to fly the club airplanes. If the club or insurance company
doesn't limit safety pilots to those accepted as club members the
club/insurance company doesn't really have sufficient control over the
minimum standard of pilots to access the aircraft.

If this is a real insurance or club limitation it seems similar to the "no
flight instructing in our aircraft except by approved CFIs" limitation.
Without these types of limitations the club member or pilot renting from an
FBO can take the airplane and allow non-approved pilots to use the aircraft
in a non-approved activity, with flight instructing and IFR work being
significant risks.

--

Scott