Old February 25th 07, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

Default Safety Pilot restrictions by the Insurance Company?

On Feb 24, 11:37 am, Mark Hansen wrote:
I belong to a flying club. Of the many club rules, one is that the
pilot acting as PIC must be a club member. I can certainly see where
this is necessary.

However, the Chief Pilot for the club claims that the insurance
company is requiring that a safety pilot for IFR practice must also
be a club member, even when the safety pilot will *not* be acting
as PIC.

Insurance companies don't seem to care much about PIC. They determine
who is "pilot flying" (term used in most policies) mostly by what seat
you are in. However, the Chief Pilot is free to add any rules he
wants, he's kinda the boss. You certainly would never want to allow a
non-club member on the controls because the insurance co will get you
for that if there is an accident, regardless of PIC.

-Robert