Old September 22nd 17, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

Default ADSB visibility with non certified GPS

Oh, Darryl - think like a lawyer? Can't - I'm a physicist, legal thinking "does not compute".

Many thanks for explaining, and then explaining even more in subsequent posts. Me and my experimental glider are going with a Trig TT22 and a TN 72...

-John

On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 3:01:13 PM UTC-4, Darryl Ramm wrote:
John

Start thinking more like a lawyer. Since gliders have broad ADS-B Out carriage exemptions in the areas those exemptions apply they remove the need for you to have ADS-B Out so by definition there is no requirements specific to *those areas* that apply.

The regulatory issue is if you have a certified aircraft, regardless of where you intend to or actually fly it the install and equipment has to meet 2020 carriage mandate requirements. That brings in the requirements for a TSO-C145 GPS source (e.g. a TN70 not TN72), and other things like excludes using a Trig TT-21.

Darryl