Old March 5th 04, 08:58 AM
John Cook

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 07:40:39 -0700, Ed Rasimus
wrote:

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:41:56 +1100, John Cook
wrote:

snip

Bolkcom said the Raptor's 540-nautical mile unrefueled combat radius
dictated it operated from forward bases -- another drawback for a
Pentagon facing potential conflict in distant lands with perhaps scant
bases nearby from which to operate.

Only 540 nautical miles!!! its funny some were predicting it was going
to be a bit further...
John Cook

Don't know what you expect from a fighter, but 540 nm "unrefueled
combat radius" is impressive to this career fighter driver. It means
you go 540 miles, have some combat play time (which is
characteristically fuel-consumption-intensive) and then return 540
miles.

Funny thing is it doesn't mention combat time or supercruise as part
of the profile or what loadout it has. I'm not saying its 'bad' until
I see some more details.

The older info/speculation was around 100nm further. ie about 650nm

Cheers

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8

John Cook

Any spelling mistakes/grammatic errors are there purely to annoy. All
opinions are mine, not TAFE's however much they beg me for them.

Email Address :-
Spam trap - please remove (trousers) to email me
Eurofighter Website :-
http://www.eurofighter-typhoon.co.uk