Old March 6th 04, 03:38 AM
John Cook

Just thought I'd chuck this in again... I first wrote this in 1998...
and have left it unchanged - usual caveats apply...

*********************quote

"I will start with the ferry range as this is the easiest.

The EF2000 can fly 2000 Nm (Nautical Miles) using 5700 litres of fuel
+ 2 x 1000 litres drop tanks, total 7700ltrs , this gives a figure of
3.85 ltrs per nautical mile for an engine that produces 120kN dry
thrust.

This figure does not include any reserve fuel, but as all aircraft
usually have this margin, it can for this purpose be ignored.

But now we have established a fuel usage figure for ferry range for a
120kN class engine.

Now the F22 can carry 11000 litres of fuel internally, but the engines
produce 220kN of thrust, if we use the same ratio 220kN/120kN and
apply this to the fuel we get 7.05 litres per Nm.

Ok the above is rough, and no doubt somebody will tell me larger
engines are more/less efficent, and I would like to know!!!.

So the ferry range for the F22 is around 11000/7.05= 1560Nm using
internal fuel.
With additional drop tanks (9000 litres) this extends to 2837Nm.

Using this figure of 7.05 ltrs per Nm, the F22 can fly around 780Nm
combat radius, with no loiter time, using internal fuel only."

****************Unquote

So using ferry type configuration, cruising at its most fuel
efficient, and at its best cruise altitude the Raptors range is
780nm, add supercruise, weapons and combat flight profile. and it
only gets shorter.
I would hazard a guess that the Raptors A to A combat radius is
within the 540 to 620nm with about 25 mins loiter.

This does depend on Internal fuel load...

Hope this helps

Cheers

John Cook

Any spelling mistakes/grammatic errors are there purely to annoy. All
opinions are mine, not TAFE's however much they beg me for them.

Email Address :-
Spam trap - please remove (trousers) to email me
Eurofighter Website :-
http://www.eurofighter-typhoon.co.uk