Old December 23rd 03, 03:13 PM
Geoffrey Barnes

1) Are you licensed for concealed weapon carry and in how many states?

Nope, not in a single one.

2) Do you carry your gun at the airport (often, rarely, etc.)?

Have never seen even the smallest need to even give it the briefest
considertation.

3) What do you do with it when you are flying?
4) Have you ever had a problem with airport personel who may
have caught sight of the gun?

Not applicable.

5) Have you ever been in a situation where you were thankful
that you brought it with you?

There have been situations in my life when I have been armed and times when
I wish I had been. But I have to say that these situations could not have
been further removed from General Aviation. In fact, I would say that GA
airports -- even remote GA airports in the darkest hours of the night -- are
probably the safest damn places anywhere in this great nation of ours. I
would probably be at greater risk in my own house late at night than I would
be when pre-flighting an airplane at almost any airport I could think of.
This would be especially true on a night when my wife has opened the latest
invoice from the flying club. (Note to self: get to the mailbox before wife
does).

But in all seriousness, while airports are not totally crime-free, they are
almost invariably lower risk than the area which surrounds them. This is
especially true of violent crime. I would be far more nervous withdrawing
cash from an ATM at any hour of the day than I would be at even an
unattended GA airport. I've never seen even a hint that would suggest any
danger at any airport.

6) What do you usually carry?

I own a Sig P-226, locked away and rarely removed from it's holdster. I'm
thinking of selling it. Anyone want to make me an offer? I really don't
need the thing, and I especially don't need it when I go flying.